Saturday 15 February 2014

032: At Least Someone Loves Me....

I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day. It may have something to do with the fact for the last twenty odd  I have been determinedly single and the day normally comes and goes in a blurr of others complaining about being single or happy couples blissfully doting on their significant other.

I woke up this morning, and found myself remembering back to Valentines Day last year, when I was only a few months in to the greatest year of my life. And I laugh to think that I was already ear deep in "boy trouble."

I don't really understand casual dating, and I was beginning to experience it for the first time while I was overseas. I had met a boy, literally within days of landing and worked out we could have a half decent conversation. At first we started sharing a few drinks, and before long, we were sharing a bed.

I knew what I was supposed to be doing, acting all casual and cool and unattached and casual. I tried that, but I was having a hard time getting ideas of long distance relationships and visa applications from lingering as an after thought.

I thought for the first time I was going to have a proper Valentines Day and was ecstatic to a point of ridiculous when he suggested we get a bite together for lunch. I spend way too long picking out what I was going to wear that morning and actually bothered to put mascara on,even battled with some eye liner. So I could waltz in to the cafe, looking cool and casual and unattached but looking smokin' hot.

But I didn't.

I got so lost, walked past the cafe three times, called him for directions twice and ended up stumbling in three quaters of an hour later, wiping sweat of my brow to find that the romantic, intimate lunch I had envisaged to actually  be a gathering of all the people I had met a few days after landing.  

Safe to say my dreams of duel citizen-ship were dashed there and then.

This year however was ever so slightly better.  I was fortunate/ unfortunate enough to be working all day  and all night, surrounded by happy couple, oogling glances and public displays of affection. Upon returning home I was very surprised to find a package waiting for me. Thinking that my secret admirer had finally found me, I ripped the packet open to find this little beauty.

Yep... this V day I got Harry Styles delivered to my door. Not going to complain in the slightest (although next time, a 3D breathing version would be preferable). I consider him to be a vast improvement from last year.

How was everyone else's Valentines Day? Did anyone get some surprises? Was it better than my last two? Have you had worse? I'd love to swap stories.

  Kathleen x

No comments:

Post a Comment