Thursday 19 December 2013

026: I don't want to be a Grinch

I can't believe how fast this year has gone. Christmas is just upon us and the world is going crazy.

For the third year in a row, I have had the unfortunate position of working in retail over Christmas. Which means that I get to witness the absolute worst of the Christmas season. People running madly around shopping centres, stalking out car parks, wresting over the perfect gift and the absolute rudeness that the season seems to encourage.

Christmas shopping becomes such a chore that basic manner are thrown out the window. Snapping at strangers and unreasonable demands become commonplace across December, and I find it disgusting.Too many times I have taken refuge in the staff room for a brief second to ensure that the rudeness of my customers doesn't rub off on me. Thankfully I work with a wonderful team, and mostly we can laugh it off and if not, have someone to whine to.

I love Christmas. I have my tree up every year on December first and enjoy the thrill of finding someone the perfect gift. I love having the day when I get to see my entire family, seated around the same table sharing food and remembering the reasons why we celebrate. Hopefully by next Christmas that can be my sole purpose for celebrating, and not just rejoicing that I have the day off.

  Kathleen x

No comments:

Post a Comment