Thursday 19 September 2013

015: Where the Wild Things Are

There is a nature reserve behind my house, which previously been only know due to the stream that my housemates have named body drop creek. I'm sure I don't need to explain how that name came about, but safe to say that we had always given the reserve a wide berth. But recently my very brave housemate decided to go for a run in the sunshine.

And actually went in.

I waited by the door expecting to have the police drag her body back out for me, but they didn't and she came back in one piece. And from her life threatening expedition, she bought back tales of this wondrous place. 

Long stretches of elegant silver gums, a wild life reserve and although I think she was pulling my leg, a fully stocked farm. There was only one way to make sure she wasn't lying. And that was to check it out for myself. 

Braced with a rape whistle and a small illegal can of pepper spray, I made my way out.

And lo and behold, my housemate was not lying.  

In the midst of our outer city suburb, we have over an hundred and fifty hectare park on our door step. And we had never been there before. I walked for over an hour and didn’t see a single of the sighs my housemate had flagged – but I did find a glum looking pair of sheep chilling between the gum trees.


I love finding places like this. I didn’t grow up in the city, but I too quickly adjusted to the noise of streaming traffic, tram rattling past and the constant reminder that you are never alone. But today, just by getting out there in the trees, I was able to forget about the rest of the world for just a second and have some time to myself. Prue, undisrupted bliss.  

  Kathleen x

No comments:

Post a Comment