Sunday 29 September 2013

016: A Grand Final Find

Yesterday was Grand Final Day - and for everyone in Melbourne, that means getting your crazy on and watch the footy. I however, are one of those rare individuals who are unable to sit through an entire match on television (I can watch if I'm in the stands, but at home, eh) So my memories of Grand Final Day are always a little different to others - one involved my dad hooking up a projection screen so we the game full screen off the living room wall, I sat behind the couch with a copy of Harry Potter and stayed there long after the final song was sung.

This year, we went to my grandparents - and fifteen minutes in was frustrated at myself for not thinking to bring a book and using up all my lives in Candy Crush too quickly. My sister was getting twitchy as well, and we decided to sneak off for a walk.

My grandparents live in the same house my father was born in - a little farm land once in the middle of nowhere but slowly consumed by the suburbs.A lot of the land was sold off, but there is still plenty for a good explore, including several run-down sheds.

Sister and I potted through the first few, where bits of old cars were still kept and the old machinery. We had to clamber over several spare tractors and broken pipes. There was a window sill of dusty mason jars, filled with old screws and receipt books from when the farm was still running.

When we were almost ready to make it back to the house, we took the long way back - a found another way into the sheering shed. It involved crawling in through a wonky hole in the wall. Through all the dust and cobwebs - it was absolutely worth it.

Inside was a treasure trove. Old, beautiful and wondrous. It was like stepping into someone else's memories. Bits of furniture from every decade, spare parts for cars that were no longer being made and old toys that had been put away and forgotten.

I love these beautiful discoveries - to think that I have been coming to this house for over two decades, walking past this shed for my entire life, and hidden behind the walls peeling with paint were all these treasures just waiting for someone to love them again.

  Kathleen x

No comments:

Post a Comment